LocoFocoRampant

"Wing of the Democratic Party made up of workingmen and reformers, opposed to monopolies and financial policies that seemed to them antidemocratic and conducive to special privilege. The Locofocos received their name when party regulars turned off the gas lights to oust the radicals from a Tammany Hall nominating meeting. The radicals responded by lighting candles with new matches known as locofocos and nominated their own slate." (From: http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9048706 )

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Missouri, United States

I am husband and father in a family of four, wife Verna, son Thomas, and daughter Jennifer. We've lived in Springfield's 137th District for over ten years at 800 W Calhoun St, and love the Grant Beach area. I was born to a military family, my mother and father met at Ft Leonard Wood. I was born in Ft Hood Texas, and travelled throughout my childhood, with most of my time spent in any one place in the Rolla Mo area. When I completed my own four year hitch with the US Navy, I settled here in Missouri, living in Mt Vernon. I moved into Springfield in 1994 to attend (then) SMSU and stayed, finding our permanent home in the Grant Beach Park area.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Welcome To Florida!


Chopper
Originally uploaded by nogoodreason.

An email from a friend turned out to be a warning from the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence that Florida’s legislature passed a “Shoot First” gun law. The law allows people who feel threatened by someone to shoot before making an attempt to flee or otherwise avoid violence. The Brady group is launching a campaign to increase awareness of this “wild west” attitude endorsed by a sitting legislature.

http://www.shootfirstlaw.org/

The word is getting out all over the country and the world, with tourists eyeballing the new law with trepidation.

But wait, it gets even better. The NRA is looking to export this horrendous policy to all fifty states. Missourians can look forward to more bellicosity from the gun lobby soon.

First, concealed carry—defeated at Missouri’s polls but endorsed by the Radical Republican legislature, and now “Shoot First.” Deadly force shouldn’t be the first recourse a reasonable and responsible citizen turns to.

Case in point: One Sunday morning, I awoke to the sound of my back door opening and closing. A quick check of my family member’s bedrooms showed I was the only one up. Thinking the door accidentally left open, I went to check on it, but picked up my baton on the way “just in case.”

As it turned out, a confused traveler was the intruder. He left in a hurry upon finding he’d picked the wrong door, thinking our home his sister’s, and apologized for the error. No force was needed, not even my baton.

If I used deadly force as a first resort, as allowed under this type of law, a simple mistake could have cost him his life, and cost me my conscience.

The NRA is really getting out of touch with rationality and mainstream America. Check out their “Black List” of people, businesses, and groups at http://www.nrablacklist.com/ .

Photo from Flickr: Chopper Originally uploaded by nogoodreason.

2 Comments:

Blogger GrfxGawd said...

I didn't want to clutter up your blog, so I posted my long winded reply there.

The summary can be wrapped up like this: Guns aren't bad. Concealed Carry isn't bad. Shooting people with little (if any) justification is BAD.

Many things other than guns are considered deadly weapons. People don't understand very much about the law concerning the use of force, or deadly force.

People really need to learn more about the world they live in and the realities it entails. (Myself included.)

3:02 PM  
Blogger GrfxGawd said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home